Tuesday 27 May 2008

"The Talented Mr. Ripley," Patricia Highsmith

Who doesn't like books about closety psychopaths who kill their friends, then assume their identities? This was a good read with wonderfully clean prose (I'm thinking in comparative terms to what I'm going to post on next). Highsmith is exceptionally skilled at making the reader sympathize with a character whose greatest attachment is to items and to a certain ideal of life. She also makes misogyny fun! (again, compater to what I'm going to post on next). There are lots of sequels to Talented Mr. Ripley, which means that I can sink my time into seeing how many people Ripley can get away with killing, and this time without having to imagine Matt Damon involved (unless they made a second Mr. Ripley movie and I just didn't know about it). Ah, bliss.

No comments: